No kneading needed for this easy focaccia recipe. Silan (a syrup made from dates), and za’atar make for a delicious loaf.
makes one thick bread or two thinner ones
Ingredients & Instructions
7 grams dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp – one small pack)
40 grams silan (2 Tbsp) or honey or maple
625 grams bread flour (5 cups), all-purpose will also work
15 grams salt (1 Tbsp)
500 grams lukewarm water (2 1/2 cups)
60 grams olive oil (4 Tbsp)
10 grams za’atar blend
smoked salt or other flaky salt
– In a large bowl combine the yeast, water and silan and whisk till combined. Set aside for 5 to 10 minutes until it starts foaming lightly.
– Whisk in the za’atar and salt and then add the flour. Using a rubber or wood spatula mix the flour and the liquids to obtain a sticky dough. Add the olive oil and gently mix. Note that the oil will not fully go into the dough and will mostly coat it. Cover with plastic wrap and let proof for 4 hours or overnight in the fridge.
– Line one or two 9×13 baking trays with parchment paper, (you can make one thick focaccia or 2 thinner ones). Pour a few tablespoons of olive oil in each pan to coat the bottom and sides.
– Divide the dough between both trays and with your fingers push it to over all the surface. If it retracts wait a few minutes and repeat the same action until you cover the whole pan. Set aside to proof again for 1 to 2 hours (dough should rise to double its initial thickness).
– Preheat the oven to 450°F.
– Pour a bit more oil on the focaccia surface and using the tips of your fingers poke small dents all over. Sprinkle on the smoked salt and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until you obtain a golden brown color.
a few fun variations:
1)before baking spread some tomato sauce on top and sprinkle grated parmesan for a quick focaccia pizza
2)cut a piece of baked focaccia in half and fill with sliced mozzarella and sliced tomatoes. Cook like a grilled cheese in a pan or using a panini press to get an amazing focaccia cheese toast
3)melt some butter with chopped garlic and brush the top after baking and before serving