Holidays are the time for warm homes and big meals, and sometimes you need something comforting to bring the day to a close. This non-alcoholic cordial includes our Sri Lanka blend, a rich and fragrant blend of star anise and cinnamon, and the tart mellowness of roasted cranberries and lemon. Great over ice or served warm with a bit of water or wine, and lovely combined with a bit of your favorite spirit.
Makes 1 1/2 cups
12oz. bag fresh cranberries (about 3 cups)
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 lemon, sliced into thin wheels
1 cup water
1 teaspoon Sri Lanka N.14
1. Wash the cranberries well and discard any bruised or mushy ones. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Toss berries and lemon with sugar and Sri Lanka and spread in a large casserole dish or rimmed sheet pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until most of the cranberries have wrinkled and popped. This helps to meld flavors and release juice and color from the skins.
3. Remove the berries to a bowl, add the water, mix well and let stand for 30 minutes, then strain through a fine strainer into a bowl.
4. Bottle and refrigerate. Will keep for at least 3 days.
• Mix 1 ounce with ice in a highball glass and fill with seltzer. Also great with gin. Garnish with lemon wheel and or fresh cranberries.
• Brew 2 cups of green tea, add 3 ounces of cordial and sweeten with additional honey if desired. Serve hot or cold.
• Warm 4 ounces cordial with 12 ounces of white wine with good acidity (like dry German riesling) over gentle heat until hot, remove from heat and stir in two ounces of brandy or Benedictine. Serve in small mugs with a cinnamon stick and lemon wheel.
Fun to try
• Use as a glaze for pork chops, braised turkey thighs (brush some on before crisping them in the oven), or roasted pumpkin.
• Mix with 2/3 cup vinegar to make a spiced cranberry shrub. The vinegar will also extend shelf life to at least two weeks in the fridge.
• Warm and use as a topping for vanilla ice cream.
Past November Recipes
2016 – Pickled Persimmons
Food image and recipe © Christian Leue
Questions? Contact email@example.com