These grilled romaine wedges are the both the perfect side dish and salad for any occasion. Using Lula N.41 for its seaweed flavors is a fun play on traditional Caesar Salad which usually calls for anchovies. Combined with cheese biscuits that double as croutons, consider this a crowd pleaser that won’t disappoint.
Lula N. 41 – Recipe from “The Art of Blending” by Lior Lev Sercarz
Makes 6 servings
Cheese Biscuits (makes about 3 dozen biscuits)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 stick cold unsalted butter, iced
2 ounces Manchego cheese, finely grated
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons Lula N. 41 spice blend
1/4 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, or more to taste
2 tablespoons Lula N.41 spice blend
1/4 cup extra-virgin oil, plus more for grilling
6 romaine lettuce hearts, halved lengthwise
Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for shaving
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Make the cheese biscuits: In a food processor, combine the flour, butter, cheese, salt and Lula spice blend. Process for about 30 seconds or until the mixture forms a sandy texture. Add the egg and process for 20 seconds or until the mixture forms a dough. Place the dough between two sheets or parchment paper and use a rolling pin to flatten the dough until it’s 1/8-inch thick. Place the dough on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Pre-heat oven to 350 F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the dough on a cutting board and cut it into 1-inch squares. Transfer the squares to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges of the biscuits turn a light brown. Transfer the biscuits to a wire rack and let cool.
3. Make the dressing: In a mixing bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the lemon juice, mustard, garlic, Worcestershire and Lula. Slowly whisk in the oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to use.
4. Prepare a hot grill or heat a grill pan over high heat. Brush the romaine hearts with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the lettuce until lightly charred, about 2 minutes per side.
5. Divide the lettuce among plates. Using a vegetable peeler, shave some of the Parmigiano-Reggiano on top. Sprinkle the lettuce with the cheese biscuits, drizzle with dressing to taste and serve.