The word kefta usually refers to a meatball or patty. These can be made from various meats and sometimes even lentils and vegetables. They are very popular in the Middle East, where they are grilled, fried and sometimes even served raw like a tartare. This beef version get a great flavor from the baharat spice, moisture from the onion and bread crumb, and a great creamy topping from the tahina.
You can pre-cook the keftas ahead of time and then warm up and finish with tahina sauce before serving. These would also be fantastic served with with a yogurt or labne suace or even a classic tomato sauce.
Make sure you have some pita or other bread to serve with it.
Ingredients & Instructions
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup chopped mint
1/4 cup chopped dill
1 tablespoon baharat spice
1/2 cup diced onion
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1/3 cup pine nuts
2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup tahina
1 teaspoon aleppo
• Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees.
• In a pan, cook the onions and garlic in some olive oil until tender (about 5 minutes ) and let cool.
• In a bowl, combine the ground beef, 2 eggs, breadcrumbs, baharat spice, aleppo, salt,pine nuts, chopped herbs and cooked onions and garlic. Mix well.
• Portion the mix into golf ball size portions and use your hand to shape them into small oval patties.
• Place the kefta in an oven proof baking dish brushed with some olive oil. Bake for about 10 minutes until the top of the kefta browns lightly.
• Take the dish out of the oven and drizzle the tahina evenly over the keftas, then bake for another 5 to 8 minutes before serving.
• Garnish with pine nuts and enjoy.
Food photo © Lior Lev Sercarz